Other Plot Programs
GNOME Office Gnumeric page
Guppi is free software
distributed under the terms of the GNU GPL
Some of Guppi's key features are:
- An Extensible Design:
Guppi is designed from the ground up to be easily extensible system.
Instead of being a single monolithic program, Guppi consists of a
small core system, with all of the interesting functionality residing in
modular plug-in extensions. By writing plug-ins, it is possible to add
new plot types, data import methods, data processing back-ends and
- Modularity For Reuse:
All of the interesting functionality in Guppi is broken out into several
shared libraries. This allows other programmers to add
Guppi's interactive plotting capabilities to their own programs.
- Full Scripting Capabilities:
Guppi's entire API is available via both Scheme and Python, two
widely-known programming languages. Since the graphical toolkit
that Guppi is built with can also be accessed via Scheme and Python,
this means that Guppi's user interface can be extended in arbitrarily
complex ways from user scripts.
- GNOME Integration:
Guppi is being developed as part of the larger GNOME Project, which
is dedicated to creating a totally free, user-friendly computing
experience for Unix-like operating systems. Thus Guppi will be a
well-integrated with a complete suite of productivity software
- Freely available source code:
Guppi's full source code is available for you: you are free (and in fact
encouraged!) to examine it, modify it, customize it, extend it, and pass
copies along to others. The goal of the Guppi Project is to create an
open system than can be used by either analysts or academics, and
which is both a useful tool and a valuable platform for research.
The following is a list of some of the specific capabilities of Guppi.
Guppi is under active development, so expect this list to grow.
- Basic statistics on sets of real numbers: mean, standard deviation,
min, max, median, quartiles, percentiles, covariance, correlation.
- Simple linear regression, with analysis: F, p, t-values of model
- Support for missing values in data sets.
- Transformed views of data sets: square root, square, log, exp,
absolute value, standardization, logit.
- "Smart" data importer for text files containing delimited data sets.
- Basic plot types: scatter plots, line plots, bar charts, pie charts. All
plots are fully interactive.
- Marginal box-plots.
- Overlayed regression lines, labeled with model equation.
- Scatter plot markers can be colored and sized by data.
- Brushing in scatter plots.
- Support for logarithmically-scaled axes.
- All plots can be printed as Postscript or PCL. They can be sized in
real-world units (i.e. 6" x 4") and the printed output exactly matches
the on-screen display.
- On-screen displays are fully anti-aliased and can be rescaled to any
- Translated into Danish, French, German, Icelandic, Norwegian, Russian,
Swedish and Ukrainian.